Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Poor Ferrari (Ferris Bueller's Day Off review)


Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
* * *

I do have to say that I didn’t really want to watch this film, it came as more of a necessity. For my Narrative Strategies class, I was assigned to dissect a scene from this movie, and analyze it shot by shot. To understand how the scene affected the entire movie, we had to watch it, or at least if we wanted to do well in the essay part of the analysis.

So with my discontent and whishing to do other things besides watch this movie, I watched it. The advantage was that I didn’t have to go anywhere to get the film. My roommate happened to love this movie, and had it with him. As I was ready to put it on my laptop, he approached me and suggested I watch it on the television so that he too could watch it. I wasn’t sure about this, for sometimes, specially if I’m going to study a film, I like to watch it by myself. I agreed, and sooner or later also realized that my roommate had been drinking out of a small blue cup for the entire course of the movie, without necessarily refilling it. To my surprise, I found out he was drinking vodka the whole time, which explained his incessant talking, and over-the-top-enthusiasm. Well, that’s that, but the movie, for better or worse, even with my half drunk roommate, was surprisingly good.

Impressive as the situation was, I loved the film more than expected. It’s not a spectacular film, nor the best acted, but it’s a well worth comedy, that will leave you wanting to take a day off to visit the Chicago Institute Of Art. That just happened to be the scene we had to dissect, which was the worse part of the movie. Ridiculous to try to put so much depth in a movie that was an entire joke. That cost this film the fourth star, but still I had a lot of fun watching this movie.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is the dream of every teenager in high school. I mean seriously
 these kids in this movie probably learned more on that day off, than their entire high school career. Anyway, Ferris (Mathew Broderick) calls in sick, with full support from his mother who is fooled in the lie, and then manages to get his friend Cameron (Alan Ruck) to meet him and plan the release of Ferri’s girlfriend who did attend school. With a wonderful fake voice by Cameron, and a nice Ferrari, they get Sloane(Mia Sara) out of school.

They embark on a wonderful day through the city of Chicago, aboard an awesome red Ferrari. With close ones of getting caught skipping school in the end they all get away with it. That my friends is an ideal, a dream in the minds of every high school teenager. I mean who didn’t want to fake being sick to stay home and end up doing something other than resting. I know I did a couple of times, in fact too many to count on my senior year. Man those were the good memories of high school, the one’s where I wasn’t even in high school.

There is wonderful good old fun humor in this movie, and even though it has that happy ending, which might account for why it didn’t deserve a fourth star, I loved the film. It is a fun comedy, with a young Mathew Broderick in it. I can’t say I’m a fan of his films, or even him for I still can’t understand how he got to marry the gorgeous Sarah Jessica Parker. I would recommend this film to everyone, and specially to young teenagers in high school. Why? Because everyone in high needs to fake sickness at least once in their life, and ditch school for something that could potentially be more rewarding than sitting in a classroom where nothing new is being learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment