Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Funny How" (Goodfellas review)


Goodfellas
* * * *

For one of our screenings in my Narrative Strategies classes we had to watch Martin Scorsese’s Goodfellas which I had never before seen. I was very thrilled to watch it for I knew beforehand that Joe Pesci had won an Oscar for Best Supporting actor for his unforgettable role as the humorous killer Tommy DeVito.

The film is undeniably my favorite Scorsese movie. While I have yet to see other of his works including what could be his best films, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and also the much controversial The Last Temptation Of Christ. Goodfellas is a wonderful mix of innovative camera movements, and dialog driven characters. I loved all the characters, but much more the world of the gangster which Scorsese has created over and over again, while never making it old.

Goodfellas is the story of Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) and his journey from the beginning through the gangster world. The film starts in a decisive moment in the film and then goes back all the way to his childhood, or more like teenage years where he gets his start in this crime world. Through his journey he falls in love, and also gets more involved in crimes, where the stakes are getting much higher. Soon drugs seem to become a part of his life as well, and sooner than later through it all we learn that this might all be nothing more than a work of his imagination.

Though the ending is never clear in the film, and even if they say this was based on a true story, one never knows how much of the true story was actually used. I doubt much of this film is true, but who cares, the movie is very well made. I forgave the ending for I tend to like clear and conclusive endings. Don’t get me wrong, I despise happy endings, but love them to be clear nonetheless even if unhappy. The ending was perhaps the weakest part of the film, but that’s all right, the rest makes up well over it.

The movie is filled with wonderful performances, and one amazing tracking shot that just about blew me away. Robert DeNiro plays the tough, partner Jimmy Conway. Joe Pesci the unforgiving, yet jokester Tommy DeVito, while Lorraine Bracco plays Karen Hill, Henry Hill’s (Ray Liotta) love.

I say give this movie a try, though be warned there are some
 unpleasant scenes in it. Not be gruesome, but while I was watching this movie, and note this, it was only me, I could not stop laughing at some of the brutal acts of Joe Pesci’s character. Whether it was him stabbing someone to death, or beating, or shooting, I found it extremely hilarious. Why? I’m not sure, but I’m guessing it was because his character, Tommy, was just so damn funny most of the time, that even his dark violent acts were a joke to me. I don’t know if Scorsese intended this, but since it was just me doing it in the theater, than I assume it’s just my sick mind. Oh well it was funny, so with that in mind I say watch it, but to me this was not only the best Scorsese movie I have seen so far, but also one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment