Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Thursday, January 13, 2011

"When It Rains, It Pours" (Magnolia review)


Magnolia
* * * * *
If asked to describe Magnolia in one word it would be, perfect. If asked to describe Paul Thomas Anderson I would simply say, brilliant. From the wonderful mind of director Paul Thomas Anderson comes this complex, and intricately embroidered work of art. Magnolia is simply one of the greatest films I have ever seen. So far this year has started well, for Magnolia has been rightfully placed above Babel in my 100 Favorite Movies ever. Yes, you heard me, that is number 3, just below The Piano.

One thing I had trouble with going into this film was the time. At first I observed that the film ran an exhaustingly three hours and eighteen minutes. I sort of didn’t want to watch it, but of course having seen other films by Paul Thomas Anderson I had to give it a try. Previously I had seen There Will Be Blood, and Boogie Nights. Another thing I noticed and could not wait to see in this film were the actors who I didn’t for a second doubt to give top performances. Among the cast were my favorites Julianne Moore, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. So with all this in mind I watched it, hoping the time wouldn’t be an issue.

At first the opening sequence is one that I held in high regard. I immediately considered the opening sequence of this film to be one of the greatest in a movie if not the best. It had humor, creativity, and just flat out brilliance. From the beginning I could tell this movie would be one of my type, which is something powerful, and mostly about life.

I sat in awe at every minute of this film. Not only were the performances just amazing, but the plot was more complex than I would have ever expected, yet still not too much. The stories in this film were so real, and there was something for every one to relate to. Perhaps the most relatable issue and central theme of the movie was, trying to escape the past. All the characters were trying to somehow forget about something that had happened in their lives. Every character was just so…beautiful. I loved everyone, and just could not contain myself in some of the most crucial scenes.

I think of my top fifteen films ever, perhaps this is one of the most appealing in terms that it could be watched by many. It has strong language, but it’s completely part of the characters, so it only makes the film much more real.

My favorite thing from this film besides Julianne Moore’s performance was that of Tom Cruise’s. He plays Frank T.J. Mackey who goes through life giving man arrogan macho advice on how to get women whenever they want. He puts on a mask of an extremely confident guy, but when it rains on him as it does to all the other characters in this film we all of a sudden discover that there is much more to this guy than meets the eye. He takles this role with great ease, I couldn’t help but wonder how he did it this time. I knew Tom Cruise was a good actor despite what anyone said, but was never aware that he was better than just good. He is amazing in this film. He is brilliant. He is touching. He is everything actors aspire to be, and I can say that this role, this particular one is my favorite supporting role of all time. I loved Frank for his vulnerability. I loved how human he was. Tom Cruise I hope to one day meet you and thank you for such an inspiring performance.

Magnolia more than anything is a film about life, and the hardships that may come when it rains. Yes rain is another central theme of the movie, but it is symbolic of life’s unexpectedness. Magnolia is everything a film should be. It is what I hope to one day be able to make. Stories like this might go unnoticed, but not in my book. Magnolia is one for the ages, and one I will look back to for guidance and inspiration.

I would recommend this film to everyone. I dare you not to like it. Out of words and things to say, I simply want to end by saying that Magnolia is beautiful beyond measure, beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment