Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Monday, January 10, 2011

The End Of The World Has Never Been More Fun (2012 Film Review)


2012
* * * *
2012 is a rare film in my list of Top 100 Films Of All Time. Why? Well, there are many reasons for this.
I love realism, and films that often make one feel something, but of course those films don’t require any special effects. Hollywood is often now a days a special effects extravaganza, and 2012 uses that brilliantly to create shocking and unbelievable scenes. So, after watching all kinds of dramatic films with emotional intensity, I every now and then like to sit back and enjoy a visual movie that doesn’t ask me to feel much aside from excitement.

2012 could be best described as a roller coaster ride, and a damn good one at that. This film doesn’t have any fully developed characters, the acting is not so good, and the plot is simply ludicrous. Still, it’s a good movie for the sole reason that it is extremely entertaining. As one would expect from a film like this, my favorite part are the special effects.

The special effects on this film have got to be the best special effects I have ever seen in my entire life. Forget all the blue in Avatar, these special effects are so much fun. Roland Emmerich is like a god of destruction. He takes a world we are very familiar with and twists it at his own will. Everything that is familiar to us is destroyed in this movie, and most of his movies. This film is so cool in the sense that one finds oneself driving through a suburban neighborhood in California, but doing so as the world literally falls apart all around.

Clearly 2012 falls under the category of a disaster epic, but if you ask me the only director who can constantly get away with it is Roland Emmerich. He is not your critically acclaimed director, but still stands out as one of the greatest directors in my book. To be able to orchestrate such a big scale movie like 2012 is just unbelievable. Roland is spectacular, he brings us things that are so mind blowing, and just very damn entertaining. This guy is just having fun, and gives us such a good time as he does.

I would recommend 2012, a movie about the end of the world, and really there is not more that needs to be said to describe the premise of the movie. This is a movie that everyone can enjoy, and just relax and have fun with. I love this film. I just enjoyed sitting back and looking a this piece of art. I mean there is nothing more fun than watching California get sucked up by the Pacific ocean. This is a completely ridiculous film, but I loved every bit of it. If the end of the world is anything like this, than I wouldn’t mind sticking around to see it fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment