Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Enunciate! (The King's Speech Review)



The King’s Speech
* * * * *
The King’s Speech is by far the best movie of 2010 I have seen. One might wonder before walking into the film, how entertaining can a movie about a king with a speech impediment be? That was my first impression upon seeing the trailer, and even though I knew Colin Firth would give a wonderful performance, I wasn’t sure if this would be all that interesting.

Well let me tell you that not only is this movie highly entertaining, it is one of the best pieces of filmmaking I have seen in my entire life. Everyone is on their top game in this movie, and that makes the story the much better.
Colin Firth gives us not only a magnificent performance, but one that is highly consistent throughout the entire film. He also shows he’s got what it takes to play a king with a temper, and a thing for cursing. I tell you there is a scene in this movie in which Firth’s character has to start letting loose in order to speak clearly, and his therapist played by Geoffrey Rush, notices that he only speaks clearly when cursing. In turn he tells Firth’s character to just curse all he wants and to get angry. Well the outcome is a wonderful symphony of f*&%, sh*^, and others curse words that worked like music to my ear. That scene alone made me love this movie the much more.

Another great surprise, aside from the expected brilliant performance by Geoffrey Rush, was the performance given by Helena Bonham Carter. She is a great actress not only in the Potter series, or Burton’s films, but in anything she does. I know she previously turned an Oscar worthy performance in The Wings Of The Dove, and though I have not seen it, I can now say I have seen one of her Oscar nominated roles, for she is bound to get an Oscar nod for The King’s Speech.

Perhaps one of my favorite things in this films besides the acting, set design and editing was the costume design. The costume design in this film was brilliant, and though this is not entirely a period piece, the costumes still have that same sophistication, without it being over the top. Specially Queen Elizabeth’s (Bonham Carter) wardrobe which just blew me away with the details invested in her costumes. I liked the costumes even better than those in Black Swan which are designed by famed fashion brand Rodarte.

The best part about this movie was how different it was from all the other films out there this time of year, yet also very relatable. I mean who doesn’t despise speaking in public, it is a commonality shared by more than a few. It was also great to see such flaw on a man of stature and power, I mean who would have thought that royals could have such problems. This films can really be seen by everyone because even in it’s moments when some might frown, one only laughs. By that I mean the cursing our lead character does in order to be able to speak, and really that is nothing, so everyone go see this film. Like I said before this is by far the best movie I have seen so far this year of 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment