Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Tought On Celebrity Marriage




Recently it was announced that Reese Witherspoon was engaged with Hollywood agent Jim Toth. I wonder how long this one is going to last?

My opinion on marriage as it is has become very pessimistic. Is there such a thing as until death due us apart anymore? I don't think so, and specially in the celebrity realm.

I don't quite understand why celebrities are unable to commit to a long relationship. Well that is not the case for all of them, but trust me it is for most of them. It is rare to find a celebrity that has remained married for over 20 years. As that number increases the number of people in that pool decreases.

Perhaps the little that marriages last in Hollywood has to do with exactly that. Celebrities are rich, famous, and most of them (over 90%) are extremely good looking. With that in mind I believe it is safe to say that such privileges make celebrities extremely independent, and somehow egotistical. I mean everything around them is about them. The world revolves in a way around them because they are an image projected to masses of people. This I think would make it hard for them to remain in a relationship for many reasons.

First they don't need to depend on anyone economically. Normal people don't count with the millions that celebrities make so when in a relationship there is much more at stake than there is with a celebrity. Celebrities are in many ways set for life, and therefore marriage is irrelevant and somewhat uneeded.

Secondly like I mentioned before, celebrities are full of themselves. Most of them don't admit it, but come on if you are honest with yourself deny that you don't enjoy when people talk about how great you are and how much they love you. Even if the talks are not necessarily good one still enjoys hearing one's name. I know I do. So with this in mind celebrities are not used to thinking in terms of "us", but rahter "I". That also contributes to marriage being irrelevant to celebrities.

Money is a big issue for celebrities when it comes to relationships. The money allows them to aquire almost anything they want, and this creates a belief that they can get anything. So when they get tired of their other half, they probably think "well if I can get a $500,000 car, then I can get a divorce". Divorce has perhaps become part of the material, that can simply be attained by simply thinking about it.

It is quite sad, but this are my thoughts on celebrity marriages and relationships as a whole. If celebrities spend more time living like normal people than perhaps they would be more able to commit to something. These observations are possibly quite true for the most part, but there are a few exceptions like in many other things in life.

If ever I were to become a celebrity, and even if I don't, I will seriously think more than twice before getting married. In a way I don't really feel like I will ever need to be married. Could it be that maybe it's not something everyone really wants? Who knows, but hopefully Reese's marriage lasts until death. Well it doesn't hurt to dream big.

No comments:

Post a Comment